Word for 2014: Create

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport||

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I came across the phrase "Be a creator, not a curator" the other day. It was in the context of writing original content, but I think it can apply in a broader sense. I don't want to be a the sum of everyone else's ideas, dreams and goals. This year, I want to create. It may be as simple as choosing to bake from scratch, or creating my own path in life. 

They say there are two kinds of people: those who have creative ideas, and those who have the planning skills to carry out those ideas. It's safe to say that I fall into the second category, and before I was ok with that. The way I saw it, nothing would come to fruition without logistics people; without us, all of those brilliant ideas would remain half-finished projects strewn about the room. And to some extent I still think this is true. However, this year, I want to work towards finding more of a balance between being an "ideas" person and a "logistics" person. Who says you can't have both? 


11 comments:

Charlene Maugeri said...

This is a great word. I am definitely more on the logistics side as well but here's to being more creative in 2014! You go girl!

Kayli Schattner said...

Love that your word is "create"- something that I definitely want to do more of in 2014 myself!

Z K said...

Wow, so true! I'm very much of a planner. I'm looking to go into artist management, actually - the epitome of curator! I'll definitely keep this in mind, however. Such a good thing to consider!

Amy Lynne Hayes said...

Completely agree!! Just because you have the logical side to work out the ideas, doesn't mean you don't have the creative capacity to come up with your own. I think it's like everything else - practice makes perfect!!

Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo said...

I'm a little of both! I just have to follow plans through sometimes. : /

Jon King said...

Agreed. For me though I feel like every other week I am one or the other... so maybe I need to strengthen both haha!

Jess Boyd said...

I think it's better to be somewhere in the middle. All about balance.

Jess Boyd said...

I couldn't have said it any better! And once to find that happy medium there is no stopping you from accomplishing great things.

Jess Boyd said...

That sounds like an awesome field to go in to though!

Aukele @ 91dash said...

Pinterest totally makes me a curator - but this is a great reminder to take a step back and remember that you can be a creator too!! Love it. Thanks for the reminder :)

Jess Boyd said...

You're welcome! And I think that there is definitely a happy median inbtween the two.