Budgeting and Cost Saving Tips for Holiday Gift Giving

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Tuesday, November 18, 2014


It's the time of year that we get to put our love of shopping to good use by focusing on buying gifts for others. Although you won't find me in the crowds of Black Friday elbowing my way to get my hands on the must-have electronic of the year. If you aren't careful, your generosity can exceed your bank account if you aren't careful. Now is the perfect time to sit down and make your list and start hunting down deals.

1. Buy gifts for multiple people at the same store. If the majority of your holiday shopping is going to be online, save the extra shipping costs and shop for multiple people at each store. If places aren't offering free shipping, buying several items will likely push you over the free shipping threshold, which can save a lot over the course of your holiday shopping. 

2. Take advantage of Cyber Monday and other holiday sales. Once you've made a list of everyone you are getting gifts for and have an idea of what you would like to get them, sign up for those stores emails. First, you will get an extra 10-15% off your order for signing up, and this way you will be the first to know when their sales are going on.

3. Get crafty. Handmade gifts are more meaningful than store bought gifts. Bake their favorite dessert, knit a scarf to keep them warm during the all-too-common polar plunges, or paint canvases to decorate the walls of their new home. For some DIY holiday decor inspiration, check out these handmade ornaments and these ideas for non-crafters.

4. Make an effort to keep personal miscellaneous purchases to a minimum in November and December. When it comes to budgeting and saving money, it's time to take a long hard look at those small, but very significant purchases that add up at the end of the month. They take the form of dining out, splurges at Target and daily coffee runs. If you are already on a lean budget, these are the fat that can easily be trimmed for a time to make room for holiday cheer.

5. Ideally, set aside a little money each month of the year. It's too late to put this tip into practice, but keep it in mind for your New Year's Resolution. Setting aside 20-30 dollars each month can add up to $350 by the end of the year and can alleviate financial stress. The main focus of the holidays is spending time with friends and family and ultimately your presence at the gatherings and get togethers is more meaningful than a gift.

What are some of your budgeting tips this time of the year?

Christina from Route Bliss


Are you going home for the holidays or celebrating friendsgiving?

I live in the same town I grew up in, so I'll stay local with my immediate family; my brother currently works in retail, so we'll celebrate at some point that day if he does end up working!

What song/album is on repeat on your ipod?
Right now, T-Swift's "Shake it Off" ... I need happy/peppy make me smile beats right now!

Any places on your travel bucket list?
Oh geez, where isn't on my travel on my travel bucket list?!?! The UK, Iceland, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand are at the top of my international destinations on there; within North America, Yosemite National Park, Big Sur, the Oregon coastline, Olympic National Park, and the national parks in Alberta, Canada.

Follow along: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

What you should be reading: 


5 comments:

Camila said...

Love this post! I'm always in for some new budgeting ways of making my money last longer! Especially that I'm anxious with the holiday season coming! Especially that I'm not home and am unsure how I'll get presents over to my family!

Jess // Foreign Room said...

Love these tips! My Christmas budget is definitely pretty lean this year, so these will definitely come in handy. I'm planning to hopefully make most gifts!

Jess said...

I love giving and getting homemade gifts! Best of luck with your crafting :)

Jess said...

Long distance shipping can be the worst! Hope you are able to enjoy the holiday season stress-free.

Erika said...

Great advice! I always wait until after the big sales to start buying Christmas gifts, and I definitely want to try to plan in advance this year. Guess I should start today!